Authors: Joelle Milholm

By

There may be snow blanketing Colorado’s golf courses, but there is playable weather on the horizon for CSU’s men’s and women’s golf teams.

The women will be traveling this spring break to Eugene, Ore., for the Oregon Duck Invitational Monday and Tuesday. The tournament will feature some lower level teams like Idaho State and Montana, but also challenge the Rams with tougher teams like Colorado and Oregon.

“We have been working really hard on our games,” head coach Angie Hopkins said. “I look for us to be in the top three. It would give us a lot of confidence going back to Tucson (Ariz.).”

The team will be making another trip to Arizona for the Mountain View Invitational the weekend after spring break. Hopkins hopes that giving the team a vacation over spring break will benefit them later.

“They will be off over the break. I’m giving them a chance to go to warmer destinations where they can improve their games,” Hopkins said. “Hopefully we can get it together and do well in Tucson when they get back.”

The CSU men’s squad will head down to Citrus Springs, Fla., on Mar. 15 for the El Diablo Intercollegiate. It is a two-day, 54-hole tournament hosted by Marshall University.

The Rams are coming off one of their best finishes of the season, when they took sixth at the Beau Chene Classic. It was CSU’s ninth regular-season tournament in a row in which it has finished in the top 10.

Junior Nolan Martin carried the team with his second place finish, hitting a 206 after three rounds for the best CSU finish of the season. The rounds of 69, 69, and 68 also tied a school record for the lowest score in a 54-hole tournament. The Rams will look for Martin to continue his hot swing in Florida.