Authors: Joelle Milholm

The CSU tennis team battled against two tough teams, but could not come out on top last Thursday and Friday. CSU lost its first match to No.64 Furman University (4-3) and its second to No. 60 Boise State (6-1).

“Overall we did good as a team,” said Dasha Zhurin, who played No. 2 singles. “It is always good to play nationally ranked teams. It shows that we are up there. The results may not show it, but our play on the court does.”

Zhurin and No. 1 singles player Sanja Hansson both improved their undefeated spring records to 4-0 after facing Furman. Hansson beat Mary Kovanik 7-5, 6-2 to move to 16-2 overall and Zhurin defeated Mary Neill Hagoud 6-3, 4-6, 7-6.

Freshman Carla Pallares grabbed the final Ram victory by overpowering Lauren Wlesh 7-6, 7-6.

Furman swept all three doubles matches. CSU freshman Jessica Jones and sophomore Alexandra Paganetti played the closest game and only lost 9-8. Zhurin and Hansson lost their match 8-5 and Pallares and sophomore Tatyana Ugorich lost 8-3.

With the loss, CSU moved to 2-2, while Furman moved to 3-5. The Rams are now 0-2 against Furman all-time.

The Rams then faced No. 64 Boise St. on Friday, but lost 6-1. Zhurin was the only Ram to earn a singles victory. With a comeback win over Jemima Hayward and a match score of 5-7, 6-4, 10-5, Zhurin advanced her undefeated streak to 5-0 in spring play.

“I feel pretty good out there. I am just trying to do the best I can do,” Zhurin said.

Zhurin also combined with Hansson for CSU’s lone doubles victory. The duo beat Hayward and Erin Polowski 8-4.

“This is the first time we have ever beat them,” Zhurin said. “We played well and it was good to finally beat those guys.”

Bronco Renate Stoop ended Hansson’s undefeated run by beating her 6-4, 7-5. Hansson is now 4-1 in the spring.

Paganetti took her match to three sets, but lost 6-2, 5-7, 10-4. Ugorich lost 6-2, 6-1, Jones was defeated 6-4, 6-3, and Palleres also lost 6-2, 6-3.

CSU is now 0-3 against Boise State all-time. The Broncos improved their season record to 7-1. Even though the Rams’ record dropped to 2-3, head coach Jon Messick was pleased with his team’s play.

“We played a tough team. Boise State started out strong and we made a comeback. We just came up short,” Messick said.

The team will next travel to California for a match against California State-Riverside on March 11. The game will be CSU’s first outdoor competition of the spring season