OUR VIEW: Just add water

Authors: the Collegian Editorial Board

Our View

CSU’s water may help its budget crisis – if only a little bit.

The university may sell some of its water rights to the City of Fort Collins. The plan benefits both the university and the city, as the school looks to get anywhere from $20,000 to $100,000 a year for leasing some of its water, and the city gets extra water to help drought problems.

CSU could use the extra money to help with current budget woes, although the money would only fix a dent in the wreck that is the $15 million shortfall caused by state-issued budget cuts.

But every little bit helps.

CSU will probably lease out 20 percent to 25 percent of its water rights to the city.

This plan seems to benefit everyone and doesn’t seem to hurt anyone in Fort Collins.

CSU said its landscaping and other water needs would not be hurt, the city gets the extra water, and it wouldn’t take anything from farmers because CSU is selling to municipalities and school districts.

CSU administrators said the goal is not to get the extra money; rather, the school is looking to help out the community, which it would be doing.

This sort of give-and-take between the city and CSU is encouraging and we applaud both institutions for working together to benefit CSU students and Fort Collins residents – and most students are both.

While CSU said it just wants to help the community, there is nothing wrong with getting a little bit of money in return, even if it only helps a bit.