Protect your drinks

Authors: the Collegian Editorial Board

Spring Break is a time to let loose and enjoy the time off, whether it is in Fort Collins, Daytona Beach, Fla. or Cancun, Mexico.

But letting loose doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be aware of your surroundings, especially your drinks.

According to the Drug Enforcement Agency, the use of date-rape drugs are on the rise. These drugs, often called predatory drugs, are used mainly against women to make the individual black out, allowing the “predator” to sexually take advantage of the inebriated person.

These drugs cause memory loss and are often poured into a person’s drink. These drugs are also virtually undetected by our senses.

CSU and Larimer County are teaming up with a poster campaign to raise student awareness of the dangers. Spring break is an especially dangerous time, since so many people are drinking and inhibitions can be low, making the situation ripe for a “predator.”

While a poster campaign may seem a small way to combat the date rape problem, it is needed and probably the only thing that could be done.

It would be impossible to stop students from drinking, partying and potentially putting themselves in harm’s way. All you can really do is tell people what dangers they may face and let them make informed decisions.

And part of the college life is letting loose and enjoying spring break. We can’t let potential dangers keep us away from a good time.

Plus, preparing against a tainted drink doesn’t take much. All you have to do is watch your drink, surround yourself with friends and be aware of what is going on around you.

Drink up, but just know what you are drinking.