Authors: Rod Rodriguez

On Wednesday, on the public streets of Fort Collins not more than a few blocks away from my house, a military truck was parked and loading up a group of individuals and shipping them off to Iraq.

Just a week ago, a good friend and co-worker of mine informed me he is being deployed in the coming weeks to the Persian Gulf for “Bush vs. Saddam Part II.” Looking on the schedule this week, he is not scheduled. Instead of a work schedule, I see the words “Leave of Absence.”

I know several other people in the military, all who are either being sent overseas or who have “disappeared” in the past month. I knew people who fought in the Gulf War, but never has war affected me this much or hit so close to home.

For some months now, I thought I was alone in the idea that war was not a good thing. I sat inside my own personal closet, something I’ve done too many times in my life, and complained to anyone who would listen.

Last night, I heard something startling: 66 percent of Americans believe that war with Iraq without UN approval is wrong. The Pope thinks that this war is wrong. Most nations in the world, including NATO nations (and a lot more than the same three we keep hearing about) think this war is wrong. I think this war is wrong.

Not that I am an authority on war, mind you. I just want to know, when will the violence stop? When will we wake up and realize what a violent society we live in? I’m not talking about the world, I’m talking about society.

We live in a country that thrives on violence. Just looking at our country’s history in the last 40 years, we have been behind almost every major rebellion and coup in the world. We have supplied weapons to more countries than I can count on two hands and in some of those cases, we had to give weapons to other countries to fight back.

Enough is enough. Enough is enough. Enough is enough.

As a friend I am saying no. As a citizen I am saying no. As a constituent I am saying no. We need to let the White House, our congressional representatives (one of which is supporting the institution of the draft – thanks, Marilyn Musgrave), and the world know that enough is enough. The violence stops here.

I have heard a lot of people snickering at the peace protestors out on the plaza as of late. I don’t know how everyone else feels about this, but I want to thank them for being the only ones standing up for what an overwhelming majority of Americans feel is right.

Unfortunately, my afternoons are not free. I am working hard towards graduation. But I sometimes have a free Saturday and I will join the protests at Mulberry and College.

I will write my congressional representatives. I will call. I will e-mail. Will it do any good? Probably not, but at least I am doing something and maybe tying up their phone line for a few minutes.

We are going to war. It doesn’t matter whether we like it or not. We are going to war. The President has said it and even stated he would go against the UN if need be. Do you think he will stop there? Do you think he will listen to a poll by the American people?

It’s time to take action. It’s time to step up. It’s time to say enough is enough. Before one more friend is sent to the front line, we need to say no.