Authors: Adrienne Hoenig

The Kappa Alpha Theta sorority at CSU will host a bike sale to benefit St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital.

The sale will take place this Saturday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Kappa Alpha Theta house, located at 638 S. Sherwood.

Tiffaney Benson, junior animal science student, is a member of the Kool KATs, a six-member team participating in St. Jude’s Up ’til Dawn fundraising program.

“It’s kind of a unique way to get money,” Benson said. “Every bit of it benefits Up ’til Dawn.”

Members of the Kool KATs sent out nearly 300 letters asking people to donate their old bikes. They also cleared out the bike storage room at the Kappa Alpha Theta house. Many bikes have accumulated there over the years, bike sale chairperson Beckie Bean said.

“There’s tons of bikes in there,” Bean said. “They just look like they could use some use.”

Bean, freshman apparel and merchandising major, is donating three bikes herself.

“We don’t have very many (fundraisers), but they are usually very large,” Bean said. “I’m hoping we can donate a lot of money to Up ’til Dawn.”

CSU Up ’til Dawn could not be reached for comment.

Heidi Mitzelfeld, a sophomore natural resources, recreation and tourism student, is in charge of philanthropy for Kappa Alpha Theta. She is looking forward to the bike sale and Kappa Alpha Theta’s other philanthropies.

“We want to make sure we’re being a positive image of college students,” Mitzelfeld said. “We’re excited about it.”