Authors: Stephanie Lindberg

The Associated Students of CSU Supreme Court will be hearing a case Thursday that could raise the minimum GPA for prospective ASCSU presidents and vice presidents from 2.0 to 2.25.

Joe Marshall, a student running for vice president of ASCSU for the next school year, thinks he would be a good candidate for the position, but will not get a chance to run if the GPA minimum is changed.

“(ASCSU) does a lot of good things for campus. I think as students we should empower ourselves more,” said Marshall, a junior history major. “(A GPA change) disqualifies students in good (academic) standing. I don’t think that’s fair.”

Comparing ASCSU positions to a national level, Marshall said raising the GPA is like saying “you must make at least $50,000 a year to run for president.”

Jason Huitt, the speaker pro tempore of ASCSU, said the committee in charge of looking over the election rules only made one change to the rules for this year’s election.

“The committee looked over the election rules and decided to change the GPA,” Huitt said.

On Feb. 5, the senate approved the change to the rules by a 16-6-2 margin.

As for why the change was made, Huitt said it is a matter of making sure that the elected president and vice president do not go on academic probation as a result of their commitment to their office.

“Any president will tell you that their GPA will take a hit,” said Huitt, a junior information systems student.

If the president’s GPA drops below a 2.0, they would not be able to serve the remainder of their term. In that event, the vice president would take over the position.

After the passage of the election rule changes, Marshall filed an appeal with the ASCSU Supreme Court, who issued a summary judgment in his favor based on written evidence.

On behalf of the ASCSU Senate, Huitt filed a counter claim and requested a hearing, which will be held Thursday night.

Huitt said the court could take as long as a week before they reach a verdict on the case, but hopes to know the result on Friday.

Some students feel that a change in the GPA requirement would be a positive change.

“It sounds like a good idea to me,” said Katy Gustafson, a senior equine science major. “(A higher GPA) shows that someone’s working hard.”

Christine Romero, a junior studying horticulture, also supports the change.

“It shows they’re willing to work hard at their school work,” Romero said.

Marshall hopes that the court upholds their original judgment.

“There are a lot of smart kids with good leadership qualities. If you are in good standing you should be able to be a leader,” Marshall said. “I feel it’s a fight that needs to be fought.”