Authors: Joelle Milholm

Records being crushed, swimmers and divers qualifying for the NCAA finals, and a second-place finish capped the 2002-03 CSU swimming and diving season at the Mountain West Conference Championships over the weekend.

The team finished 44.5 points behind four-time defending champion BYU and 43.5 points ahead of third-place UNLV. CSU improved from last year when it finished third behind BYU and UNLV.

“We are happy with how we swam,” junior Kristen Schneider said. “We really stepped it up.”

Schneider led the Rams by setting a new CSU and MWC record when she won the 200-yard individual medley, burying her old record by almost two seconds. Her time of 2:01.34 qualifies her for the NCAA Finals March 20-22. She also took second in the 100- and 200-yard backstroke, and again qualified for the NCAA Finals.

Schneider also took part in another record-breaking event as a member of the first-place 400-yard freestyle relay team. Elizabeth Jones, Katie Peck, and Kristin Knudson completed the team and earned a NCAA provisional qualifying time of 3:23.30. The time is the new MWC best.

“We broke a lot of records and it was really exciting,” Schneider said. “It shows that we have a lot of depth and we will be right back there next year.”

Knudson will join Schneider at the NCAA finals because of her second-place finish in the 50-yard freestyle. Jones also qualified for the NCAA finals with her third-place finish in the 100-yard freestyle.

Knudson, Peck, Jones, and Paula Langer won the 200-yard freestyle relay and set another new MWC record at 1:33.15. The time was NCAA provisional-qualifying as well.

Junior Corinne Hofstetter captured the only other CSU victory in the 200-yard butterfly.

Other high finishers include Peck, who took second in the 200-yard IM, and Jamie Robinson, who placed third in the 200-yard breaststroke.

The divers were lead by junior Lori Vigil, who placed fourth on the one- and three-meter boards and 12th in the platform event. She was supported on the one-meter by Erin Shumway (10th), Elizabeth Kidner (12th), and Kara Crisp (18th).

Shumway took 13th on the three-meter, followed by Kidner in 14th, and Crisp in 18th. The team ended on the platform, where Crisp took ninth, Shumway took 14th, and Kidner took 20th.

“We did the best we could, but we wish we could have scored higher,” Shumway said.

Vigil and Shumway scored high enough to qualify for the NCAA Zone E Diving Regionals on Mar. 14.

After the conclusion of the meet, the MWC announced its All-Conference team, which contains 12 Ram individuals and all five Ram relays.

1st Team All-MWC

Elizabeth Jones (100-freestyle)

Corinne Hofstetter (200-butterfly)

Kristin Knudson (50-freestyle)

Katie Peck (200-IM, 400-IM)

Jamie Robinson (200-breaststroke)

Kristen Schneider (200-IM, 100-backstroke, 200-backstroke)

Kristen Knudson, Elizabeth Jones, Katie Peck, Paula Langer (200-freestyle relay)

Kristen Schneider, Elizabeth Jones, Katie Peck, Kristin Knundson (400-freestyle relay)

Kristen Schneider, Lyndsay McCaslin, Rachelle Kula, Kristin Knudson (200-medley relay, 400-medley relay)

2nd Team All-MWC

Sarah Bultema (100-butterfly)

Lissa Fischer (400-IM)

Dylon Groenwold (100-backstroke)

Corinne Hofstetter (500-freestyle, 200-freestyle)

Elizabeth Jones (50-freestyle, 200-freestyle)

Kristin Knudson (100-freestyle)

Rachelle Kula (100-butterfly)

Lyndsay McCaslin (100-breaststroke)

Lori Vigil (one- and three-meter diving)

Kristen Schneider, Katie Peck, Corinne Hofstetter, Rachelle Kula (800-freestyle relay)