Authors: Jason Graziadei

/p>

The first round of this season’s Border War went to Wyoming in a two-point thriller at Moby Arena.

Now the CSU men’s basketball team is hoping Round 2 will go its way Saturday, but the Rams will have to win in Laramie at the “Double A” – Arena-Auditorium.

Playing in its third consecutive road game, CSU will attempt to end its current five-game losing streak, and also defeat Wyoming, having lost six straight games to the Cowboys.

“This game is always a big game, it’s always a close game,” Rams’ forward Ronnie Clark said in a radio interview. “We just happened to come up short last time. But this time, we’re going to fight them again and play them hard and hopefully, this time we’ll come out on top.”

Earlier this season, the Rams had a seven-point lead with five and a half minutes left in the game against Wyoming, but only scored six points the rest of the way, allowing the Cowboys to come back and claim the victory.

Now the Rams (14-10 overall, 3-6 Mountain West) are looking to break out of the pack at the bottom of the conference and position themselves for a better seeding in the MWC Tournament. The Rams have only won one road game this season, and will have to face the Cowboys (18-6, 6-3) at Arena-Auditorium, where UW has only lost twice this year.

“Hopefully it will come around for us on the road and we can get a road game, and win three or four of these last five games,” Rams’ head coach Dale Layer said. “I think they have rebounded very well and they seem to catch everyone’s best effort.”

Through 24 games last season, the Rams were 10-14, and although they have posted a better record at this point in the season, their struggles have continued against conference opponents.

The Cowboys, on the other hand, are the defending conference champions, but currently trail both Brigham Young and Utah in the MWC standings. Wyoming is led by senior guard Donta Richardson, who is averaging 18 points per game, and lit up the Rams for 22 points in the last game between the two teams in Fort Collins.

For the Rams to win Saturday, they will need another solid performance from guard Micheal Morris. The freshman currently leads the conference in blocked shots and is third in assists. Morris is only13 assists away from breaking Eddie Hughes’ school record for a freshman.