Authors: J.J. Babb

In a split second, Shohnna Mae McAlpin, junior mechanical engineering and Spanish major, left a hole in her family and friends’ lives.

McAlpin died Feb. 3 in a car accident at the intersection of Timberline and Trilby roads when a 1991 Toyota driven by a 16-year-old male from Fort Collins ran a stop sign at a high rate of speed. The driver’s door of the Toyota was broadsided by the 1992 Honda Civic driven by McAlpin.

McAlpin, who was not wearing a seat belt according to Colorado State Patrol, died later at Poudre Valley Hospital. The 16-year-old male’s name was not released because he is a minor.

Classmate Marsha Atteberry, a junior speech communications major, describes McAlpin as a “really neat person.”

“Every day that I saw her she was always smiling,” Atteberry said.

McAlpin worked at faculty test scoring services in Clark and enjoyed spending time with her daughter and family.

McAlpin was born June 24, 1977, at Fort Carson in Colorado Springs to Fordie and Sheryl Frazer McAlpin. She graduated from Philomath High School in Philomath, Ore., in 1995.

According to her obituary in the Fort Collins Coloradoan on Feb. 7, McAlpin’s goal was to complete her education, buy a home and own a Great Dane.

She loved spending time with animals, being with her friends, traveling, dancing and enjoying the outdoors. She also loved singing to oldies and country music.

McAlpin also found motherhood wonderful.

“She loved doing anything with her daughter,” Atteberry said. “She loved her daughter.”