Authors: Joelle Milholm

The CSU women’s golf team shot back-to-back rounds of 311 at the two-day Aztec Invitational on Monday and Tuesday to put them in fifth place out of 18 teams.

“We played all right.” head coach Angie Hopkins said. “I was hoping to do a little better and so were the girls. We were a little rusty and I didn’t feel like we had enough time to prepare, but it was good just to get out there and play again.”

Junior Dawna Virdell placed the highest for the Rams, finishing in fourth place with 151 strokes. Sophomore Lynette Duran tied for fifth at 152, while captains Mayumi Motyama and Stephanie Linnell ended in a four-way tie for 25th place. Sophomore Kristen Campos tied for 39th.

The team will have a short break before leaving for Tucson, Ariz., on Saturday for the Arizona Invitational, Feb. 24-26.

“Hopefully we can use the last tournament to prepare for Arizona. Weather is making practice hard, but we will be working on our putting and swings at Moby,” Hopkins said.

The tournament will feature 18 teams including eight that are ranked in the top 25. Arizona leads the pack at No. 3.

“It is going to be interesting, but it is good for us to play good teams,” Hopkins said. “If we want to get better, we are going to have to play better teams.”

The men’s golf team will return to action for the first time this spring on Feb.24-25 in the Beau Chene Collegiate Classic in Mandeville, La.

The tournament will be hosted by Southeastern Lousiana and will include 15 teams with Tulane, Southern Mississippi, Mississippi, New Mexico State, and Louisville being CSU’s toughest competition.

“I don’t really know how well we are going to do because it is the first tournament of the year,” head coach Jamie Bermel said. “We will probably be the highest team there.”

Juniors Martin Laird, Nolan Martin, and Brett Tobyne will be representing the Rams along will two other golfers who are still undecided.

Due to the weather, the team has had limited practice time, but is ready for its five regular season spring tournaments.

“We wish that we could have spent more time outside practicing, but I think everyone is ready to get back into the competitive feel of golf,” Bermel said.