Authors: Jason Graziadei

Another major conference power has come calling for CSU head football coach Sonny Lubick, but once again, it appears the Rams’ coach won’t be leaving Fort Collins.

Lubick was contacted over the weekend by Oregon State University about its recently vacated head coaching position. The Beavers’ former head coach, Dennis Erickson, left the program last week after being hired to coach the San Francisco 49ers.

“Oregon State called me, but I don’t expect anything to happen,” Lubick told the Rocky Mountain News. “My intention is to be here (for the 2003 season and beyond).”

Lubick’s recent contract extension with CSU runs through the 2006 season with an annually salary of approximately $500,000. But Lubick, who just finished his 10th year in Fort Collins, has had several chances to leave the Rams for major conference teams over the years, and has yet to take the bait.

“I felt that after Dennis left that I might get a feeler from Oregon State,” Lubick said. “And that’s all it is right now.”

The connection between Lubick and Oregon State is not a new one. Lubick was Erickson’s defensive coordinator at the University of Miami, and both coaches interviewed for the Oregon State job after the 1998 season before Erickson was hired.

Also, Lubick’s son Matt was one of Erickson’s assistants in Corvallis, Ore., for two seasons before he joined his father at CSU.

Current New Orleans Saints assistant coach and former Oregon State head coach Mike Riley, along with two current OSU assistant coaches, Tim Lappano and Gregg Smith, have all interviewed for the position.

There was no new information Wednesday on the possibility of Lubick going to Oregon State, and it is not clear whether Lubick will interview for the position.