Authors: Eric Todd Patton

Do any of you remember the first time you saw “Dumb and Dumber?” Jim Carrey stole the show and immediately we all knew he was going to be huge. We probably could have seen it coming, considering he was one of the funniest on “In Living Color,” but now we have a new one to recognize. Will Ferrell stole the show in “Old School” and if you did not know it from “SNL” you will know it now: Will Ferrell is one of the funniest men in showbiz.

Actually, all three of the leads were awesome. There seems to be a funny gene in the Wilson family (Luke and Owen), I already mentioned Ferrell and this is Vince Vaughn’s best appearance since “Swingers.”

When Mitch (Wilson) comes home early from a trip, he finds his fianc/ in bed waiting for two strangers to join her. This breaks them up, obviously, and he finds a great deal on a house from the family of a professor who just died, so it is located almost right on a college campus. To help him deal with his loss, his best friends Frank the Tank (Ferrell) and Beanie (Vaughn) decide to throw him an incredible party.

With half of the college campus showing up his house gains what Beanie calls “street credit.” So when the dean of the school tells Mitch he has to move out due to rezoning of his property, Beanie calls on that “street credit.” The house must be used for college use only, and this sparks the idea in Beanie to start a fraternity.

This is where the film takes off. It was funny to start with – the wedding at the beginning is hilarious – but now it goes that extra step beyond. I do not want to give anything away. I do not want to try to explain the jokes to you or try to explain why this was so funny. But I can do something like this: Ferrell naked, naked girls in jelly wrestling, earmuff the kid, frat style recruitment, Daily Show cameos, White Snake soundtrack, athletic review, extreme drunkenness, Snoop, streaking, tranquilizers, and Ferrell singing Kansas’ “Dust In The Wind.”

The only part that I did not like was Juliette Lewis and that was just at the beginning. I sit here, looking at my notes thinking back over the film and I cannot think of anything I did not like. Even the parts that started to be clich/d or ridiculous got better. The sentimental scenes never stayed that way; they got funny. I apparently do not like much, according to my roommates and classmates, but I had to hold my sides and wipe away tears during certain parts of “Old School.” If you liked films like “Office Space,” “Animal House,” “Dumb and Dumber,” or if you appreciate the Luke Wilson / Owen Wilson style of humor (because it has that, too) then this is perfect for you. If you do not like that kind of humor, then pull the stick out and enjoy this one.

Starring: Luke Wilson, Will Ferrell, Vince Vaughn, Ellen Pompeo, Matt Walsh, Sean William Scott, Juliette Lewis, Jeremy Piven,

Directed By: Todd Philips

What You Need To Know: One of the funniest movies since “Dumb and Dumber.”

FINAL GRADE: A-