Authors: J.J. Babb

Students can help groups on campus receive recognition by nominating them or individual leaders for the new Student Organizations Awards and Recognition (SOAR) program.

“This program recognizes all the different groups across campus because they all make a great contribution in their own ways to the campus and community,” said Beth Tucker, senior journalism major and organizer of SOAR.

SOAR will recognize 23 organizations and four individuals for outstanding campus or community involvement or leadership.

The four individual awards are the Outstanding Leader Award, the Emerging Leader Award, the Outstanding Graduate Student Leader Award and the Best Member at Large.

Tucker said anybody can nominate anybody else for these individual awards. The deadline for the individual award nominations to be turned in is March 2.

The award categories groups may be nominated for are as follows: Organization, Marketing, Community Service and Programming. In each of these categories there are numerous categories in which groups may be nominated to receive.

The application deadline for the group awards is March 21.

Application and nomination packets may be picked up and dropped off at the following Lory Student Center offices: Student Learning and Volunteer Programs, Student Organizations Office, Leadership and Diversity Programs, Associated Students of CSU, Campus Information Services, Campus Activities Center and Association for Student Activity Programming. Applications may also be found online at www.sc.colostate.edu/studentorg/SOAR.

“I’m excited because after seeing everything that has gone on in the past four years (in campus organizations) I think it’s time to give them the recognition they’ve worked for,” Tucker said.

Pam Sampson, assistant director for campus activities, feels SOAR will demonstrate the important work campus organizations accomplish throughout the year.

“We get to work with all these groups on a daily basis but we don’t always get to see the final project,” she said. “We will have a better idea of the certain greatness occurring in campus groups and everyone else will know too.”

S.O.A.R. will host a star-style awards ceremony on April 22 at 6:30 p.m. in the Lory Student Center Main Ballroom.

“We’re really excited about the event, it’s going to be a real award type ceremony, kind of like the Grammies,” Tucker said. “Instead of red carpet we’re getting green and gold.”

RSVPs must be made for SOAR by April 8, with only three members allowed per group.

“It’s sure to be a very fun event, not only a great place to learn about what’s going on but generally a fun event to attend,” Sampson said.

For more information and to R.S.V.P. for the awards dinner call 491-1115 or email stuorg@otis.sc.colostate.edu.