Authors: Adrienne Hoenig

Ten dollars could win students a 2003 Volkswagen Beetle GL or one semester of free books from the CSU Bookstore.

The new yellow Beetle that is currently in the front lobby of the Lory Student Center will be given away to the person with the winning raffle ticket on March 5 at noon.

“It’s being raffled off by (the Associated Students of CSU), as well as Live Life Late,” said Kris Folsom, marketing and public relations coordinator for the student center. “All the proceeds are going to go to student organizations and student programming.”

Raffle tickets can be purchased for $10 from the Campus Information Services desk or the main desk on the lower level of the Durrell Center. Only 5,000 tickets will be sold.

The bug was purchased with help from Pepsi and Ed Carroll motors. Jill Zambito, program advisor for Campus Activities, estimates the cost to be around $16,000.

The second-prize winner will receive a free semester of books, up to $300 from the CSU Bookstore.

“It’s really to get students excited about being on campus,” Zambito said. “The money is going to go back to the students, which is nice.”

Proceeds from the raffle will benefit ASCSU and Late Night Programming.

ASCSU hopes to raise enough money to reinstate the Cannot Use Paper, Plastic or Styrofoam Cups program. This would allow ASCSU to give out free reusable cups to students. They are trying to work out a deal with vendors in the student center to give students a discount when they use their cups, ASCSU President David Bower said.

“Right now, we are researching the best vendor for the cups and hoping that we make some money off of this bug raffle before we order them, because the raffle is what is paying for them,” Bower said.

Je’Nean Johnson, sophomore speech communications student, works at the Campus Information Services desk. She said so far, they have not sold nearly as many raffle tickets as they would have liked.

“I guess it increases peoples chances for winning,” Johnson said. She thinks part of the problem may be that students don’t know the car is going to be given away.

“A lot of people say why would they give a brand new Beetle away for free,” Johnson said.

Zambito agrees.

“A lot of people have seen it and they don’t know they have to purchase a ticket,” Zambito said. “I think normally, on college campuses, students wait until the last minute.”

Many students are also having a hard time coming up with the $10 to buy a raffle ticket.

“I like the car, but I just don’t have $10,” said Amy Schoengarth, a freshman zoology major.

Brian Kelly, a senior psychology student, feels the same way.

“I really don’t have any money, or else I would (buy a raffle ticket),” Kelly said. “It’s spring semester, not too many people have money left.”