Authors: the Collegian Editorial Board

What a weekend of political activity.

Saturday, people throughout the world gathered en masse to protest a potential war in Iraq.

In Colorado Springs, police tear gassed a group of self-proclaimed anarchists at a rally which was attended by an estimated 3,000 to 4,000 people. Police made 34 arrests in the protest.

New York probably drew the largest crowd in America. The New York City police commissioner estimated that100,000 people took to New York streets.

There were similar demonstrations in Philadelphia, Chicago, Seattle, San Diego, Miami and Detroit.

In London, between 500,000 and 750,000 people rallied in Hyde Park, while 200,000 gathered at the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin. Many other cities around the world also had huge crowds protesting a potential war in Iraq.

Our beloved campus even saw a demonstration against the war. About 300 students attended a rally at 12:30 on Friday protesting the war after a week of fliers urging students to walk out of class and support the anti-war movement.

However, not all the people in the rally supported the anti-war movement; many people were there to show support for the war and to counter-protest.

For us at Our View, it is not often that eating crow tastes sweet, but we are happy to indulge on the dark bird after our staff editorial on Jan. 31.

In that editorial we criticized the student body for their apathy regarding the potential war. This criticism came after our brethren in Boulder protested. Yes, as usual, there was a scuffle and people got arrested. We did not condone the behavior that led to the arrests, but we applauded those students for their concern and activism regarding a war that could alter our lives and world forever.

Friday’s activism was satisfying and we thank all those at the rally – regardless of whether you support the war or not – for proving us wrong and showing us, and everyone in the CSU community, that you care about what is happening in the world around us.