To the Editor:

Tuesday Wayne Murdy, the CEO of Newmont Mining, came to speak about corporate responsibility for the CSU business day. Newmont is the largest gold mining operation in the nation and one of the most expansive in the world. I, and others were there to bring up discussion and information about Newmont’s environmental and social practices. We politely asked questions during the informal discussion then silently held signs in the back of the theater during Mr. Murdy’s speech. I felt we expressed our opinions in a very visible but respectful way.

Open discussion about these issues is what being at a university is all about. In order to create a positive learning environment ideas and practices should be challenged. The more students engaged in discussion about key issues like business, the environment, and society the better solutions and compromises we will see in the future.

This group of students and community members wanted to bring attention to socially and environmentally unsustainable practices of mining and specifically how Newmont has played a role in this. Water pollution is one of the major effects of gold mining. According to The Project Underground Newmont study, “the Rain mine in Nevada owned by Newmont has contaminated two miles of Dixie Creek with arsenic and mercury.” Tearing up the land contributes to enormous amounts of rock wastes, erosion, and heavy silt accumulation. In the United States “more than 70 percent of gold is ripped from native lands.” Although in the United States, and abroad, the mines create jobs they also create many outweighing social consequences such as income disparity and stratification of society.

I would like to thank Mr. Murdy for having the open discussion with us and for the open minds of many of the business students. I hope this event has encouraged more discourse and education on campus.

Michelle Glowa

Freshman Natural Resort Management