Authors: Kyle Endres

The Senate Education Committee voted Wednesday to recommend Connie Calaway and Pat Broe to the state Senate for open positions on the Board of Governors for the CSU System, amid objections from several Democrat committee members.

The Board of Governors will select CSU’s president when Albert C. Yates retires in June. Gov. Bill Owens chooses the board members and the Senate confirms his choices.

Some people have questioned the selection process after Owens recommended Marc Holtzman, his outgoing Secretary of Technology, for the presidency. Broe has been quoted in several media as being a Holtzman supporter and Calaway is a friend and neighbor to Holtzman in Carbondale.

“It has come down to being a partisan issue, with the Republicans supporting the governor’s choice and the Democrats concerned about the tainting of the process,” said Sen. Sue Windels, D-Arvada. “Neither of them have had much experience dealing with higher education issues or specifically with CSU.”

Sen. Ken Arnold, a Republican representing several areas north of Denver, believes Calaway and Broe have acceptable credentials and will not necessarily vote for Holtzman because of Owens’ recommendation.

“I liked what I heard, I liked what they had to say,” said Arnold, the committee chairman. “I don’t think any of them are going to abide by what the governor has said, unless (Holtzman) is the best candidate.”

The committee approved Calaway and Broe by a vote of 4-2 and unanimously approved to reappoint Don Hamstra and Jeff Shoemaker.