Authors: Joelle Milholm

Weather has made preparing for the spring season rather difficult for the CSU women’s golf team, but snow does not stop these girls from playing.

After getting to rest during most of the off-season, the Rams are back with clubs in their hands and finding new ways to practice.

“We have been putting inside of Moby on the carpet. We have also been doing a lot of mental preparing,” head coach Angie Hopkins said. “We have access to one indoor hitting area and I have them swinging in their garages, but mostly we have just been working on putting.”

CSU will return to the links for the 2003 Aztec Invitational Monday and Tuesday. The two-day, 36-hole, shotgun format tournament will feature 17 teams including Colorado, Kansas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Weber State, and a number of smaller California schools. Mountain West Conference rivals San Diego State and Wyoming will also be playing in the tournament.

“We are ready to go. We are going to be a little rusty, but I am just going to tell them to go out there and have fun,” Hopkins said. “They have been playing golf for 10 to 12 years, so I figure they can pull it out.”

CSU won the tournament last year, shooting a combined 42 over par. Senior Mayumi Motoyama, junior Dawna Virdell, and sophomores Lynette Duran, Trisha Quick, and Kristen Campos will make up the squad trying to defend CSU’s title. Junior Stephanie Linnell will also make the trip, but play as an independent.

As the Rams depart for San Marcos, Calif., on Saturday, they hope to escape the snow and get back to playing golf. The remainder of the spring season should also provide for good weather, as the Rams will make two visits to Tucson, Ariz., and one to St. George, Utah.

“I expect really good things this spring season,” Hopkins said. “We are going to be focusing on the mental game and putting. Hopefully we will get some sunshine that we haven’t seen in a while.”