Authors: Luke Cornish

The CSU track team is looking to continue its perfect season when it travels to Ames, Iowa, to take part in the Iowa State Classic. The Rams are now 3-0 on the season after beating Air Force, Colorado and Texas Christian in the Air Force Classic last weekend.

“I think we’ve seen a lot of outstanding performances from the Rams this year,” head coach Del Hessel said. “I was very pleased with last week’s effort. So many Rams had personal bests that I can’t even remember them all off the top of my head.”

The three meets that the Rams have won so far this season have all been at high altitude, with two in Colorado Springs and one in Laramie. In these meets the throwers have carried the CSU squad, but in the lower altitude of Iowa it will be the runners’ turn to shine in the spotlight.

“We’re looking to take a good group of runners down to Iowa State,” Hessel said. “This will be an important meet for us as far as nationals is concerned.”

The Iowa State meet will feature teams from all across the country eager to have a chance to go up against tough competition.

“The point of this meet is to face some of the best competition in the entire country,” Hessel said. “Everyone there is trying to qualify for the NCAA competition. It’s the middle of the year and it’s time for everyone to get serious.”

The team has been practicing and lifting weights non-stop since the beginning of the season and the head coach hopes a change of pace will leave them in good stead for this important meet.

“I think we have an excellent chance of qualifying Bill Michel in the 3,000 meters and Jacob Vincent in the triple jump,” Hessel said. “Basically everyone we’re taking has a good chance of making it.”

CSU is certainly looking to qualify their athletes at this meet sending their best 13 to represent the school and hopefully hit the NCAA’s mark for qualification.

For those on the track team that aren’t making the trip to Iowa they will be competing in the Colorado School of Mines all-comers meet.

“We’re going to Iowa State with the potential NCAA qualifiers,” assistant coach Tom Flood said. “The other meet’s at Mines and will be a chance for the other athletes to get some practice at the competitive level.”