Authors: Dustyn Connelley

The Vagina Monologues is a celebration of female sexuality in all its intricacy and mystery. In this striking literary adaptation of Eve Ensler’s book “The Vagina Monologues,” the play gives us real women’s stories of intimacy, vulnerability and self-discovery.

“Celebrated as the bible for a new generation of women,” The Vagina Monologues has been performed in cities all across America and at hundreds of college campuses with performances directed and performed by students and faculty.

This provocative play is a benefit production brought to CSU by Hartshorn Heath Services, Based On Life Theater and the students of CSU. Although the Monologues are making their third appearance on the CSU campus, it is a first for directors/producers Frances Southwick and Melissa Malone. Southwick and Malone join a cast of six along with three interpreters in this compassionate work of art that gives a voice to women and their most profound secrets, fears and fantasies.

“We saw the play for the first time in Denver and learned together what V-day was and thought it was a good cause,” Southwick said. “We think that students will be more receptive and comfortable [with the material] and ready to take it more seriously;. We hope that the audience will walk away with a general understanding and a desire to help people.”

The Vagina Monologues include approximately 15 different pieces that have been assembled from interviews with over 200 women of all ages and nationalities. Malone added that a few new monologues have been included and particularly edited for the college show including “My Short Skirt.”

This play has inspired a powerful movement, V-Day, a worldwide movement to stop sexual violence against women and girls, and to proclaim Valentine’s Day as the day to celebrate women and demand the end of abuse.

Ensler stated in the introduction of her book, “In order for the human race to continue, women must be safe and empowered. It’s an obvious idea, but like a vagina, it needs great attention and love in order to be revealed.”

Join us for a V-Day benefit performance of Eve Ensler’s Obie Award-winning play “The Vagina Monologues.” Tickets are only $5 each and may be purchased (or reserved) by phoning CSU’s Information Desk at (970) 491-6444. All proceeds will be donated to local crisis centers.

The Vagina Monologues is showing at the Lory Student Center Theater Feb. 14 and 15 at 7 p.m.