Authors: Troy Briggs

I am one of those people that don’t like hearing the end of a movie before I get to it myself. So I set up my reviews to be sensitive to that. First, I will write in broad terms that don’t force an opinion. Secondly, I will write as if everyone has already seen it. This week I will review the popular documentary “Bowling for Columbine.”

The Basics: The director, Michael Moore, is a legend in the modern documentary scene. He has been behind “Roger & Me” and “The Big One,” as well as the TV show “The Awful Truth.” All of these are commentaries on the world and some of the issues he thinks needs to be brought to the attention of the world. In “Bowling for Columbine” he has made a film that is worth seeing and I recommend to everyone. The topic is guns and the violence enacted through guns in the United States. There are many interviews and a wide range of opinions represented. It is a film that is both comical and truly tragic. It is a good example of how in the face of great sadness or a chaotic existence, we have no other choice but to laugh. Even if someone didn’t agree with some of the slants in the movie I would recommend it because of the honesty inherent in real people and real situations.

The Inside Scoop: The only issues I have with this film are that I don’t enjoy Michael Moore’s interviewing techniques or his simplifications. He seems to set up situations that will make his targets end up looking baffled and stupid. There is no sense of conversation or of reaching for understanding. This strategy came to an annoying point when he ambushed his implied arch-nemesis the NRA president and Alzheimer’s victim Charlton Heston. It was a bit much. Outside of that, I truly appreciated the question that he brought up, “Why does America have so many more murders by guns?” It is not a very simple question; the similarities America has with other countries as far as violent video games, movies and even the amount of firearms per household are all similar, but America shadows the rest of the world with the number of shootings. The question is not simple and I applaud him for that. His answer, however, was short-sighted.

The best way to find out the times would be to call these theaters:

The Esquire (303)733-5757 Denver

UA village 4 (303) 443-8232 Boulder

I strongly encourage anyone that enjoys movies that are not the everyday thing to keep on top of the shows that are going on at the LSC. Get a calendar of shows at the information counter and check it out!