Authors: Luke Cornish

The CSU track and field teams won the Robert Shine invitational in Wyoming on Saturday recording their second straight win of the season.

Both the men’s and women’s teams beat conference rivals Wyoming and Air Force, with the women’s team putting up 136 points and the men’s team scoring 126.

“I think all the athletes did well across the board,” throwing coach Brian Bedard said.

His athletes certainly did, as Loree Smith won both the shot put (53-6 1/2) and the weight throw (62-6 1/2) for the second consecutive week. And that was despite being in a car wreck the night before.

“She got in a car accident Friday night and we didn’t know if she’d compete the next day,” Bedard said. “But she said she wanted to come and support the team either way.”

Bedard said that Smith was still a little sore after warming up, but went ahead and competed anyway.

For the men’s team, Drew Loftin won the weight throw and qualified for the NCAA competition with a mark of 66-9.75.

“He’s had some back problems which slowed him down in practice,” Bedard said. “But he had some good (practices) this week and it showed.”

Other successes for the Rams were put up by Christine Ahn, who won the pole vaulting competition by clearing 11-feet-6-inches, and Jacob Benson, who won both the high jump (6-10) and the triple jump (49-10.5).

The CSU women dominated the mile race with Anya Sawyer, Meg Larson, Charlotte Steele and Brittanie Saunders placing first through fourth, respectively. The Rams continued their dominance of the top positions when Zuzana Krajciova and Andrea Little took the top two spots in the 55-meter hurdles, and Becky Hammitt and Ashley Nicholson placed first and second, respectively, in the 800-meter race.

Jennifer Kintzley, Crystal Clark and Colleen Blair demonstrated their stamina by taking first through third in the 3,000.

One other race wasn’t as clear-cut and it took a photo finish to determine that Candace Lelo won the 200-meter dash.

For the men, Mike Nicks and Raegan Robb took the top two spots in the mile, and Chris Riggs, Gilbert Gregg and Jake Simpson finished first through third, respectively, in the 200.

Jeremy Graff won the shot put competition and CSU took first in the 400 with a solid performance from Brandon Kent.

The CSU men’s team also got a first place in the 800 with the victory coming complements of Joey Alzola. The men placed first in the 3,000 with Paul DiGrappa taking the honors. Both the men and women were victorious in the 4x400m relay.

The Rams will travel to Colorado Springs next weekend to partake in the Air Force Classic.