Authors: Joelle Milholm

The Ram swimmers and divers took all of the glory this weekend, leaving the Wyoming Cowboys with no sunset to ride away in.

CSU took first in 10 out of 13 of Friday night’s events and accumulated 150 points, burying Wyoming’s 93. The win gives CSU the second place seed at the end of the regular season in the Mountain West Conference. The team also now has a 38-1 all-time record and is undefeated at Moby against Wyoming.

“We were not as fast as we have been all season, but we got the win and that’s all that matters,” junior Kristen Schneider said.

Schneider and junior Lori Vigil, once again shone for the Rams. Schneider took first in the 200-yard freestyle and the 100-yard backstroke. She also contributed to the first place finish of the 200-yard medley relay team along with senior Kristin Knudson, junior Lyndsey McCaslin and freshman Rachelle Kula.

Vigil took first place by earning 255.07 points on the one-meter board. She then dove for 253.28 points and got another victory on the three-meter.

The other Ram divers also dove well with senior Erin Shumway in fifth, and sophomores Elizabeth Kidner and Kara Crisp in seventh and eighth, respectively, on the one-meter. On the three-meter, Shumway took fourth, Kidner took seventh and Crisp took eighth.

Multiple Ram swimmers raced for first place finishes as well. Junior Katie Peck won the 1000-yard freestyle, finishing more than 11 seconds ahead of Wyoming, while sophomore Sarah DeLapp took second. Junior Lyndsey McCaslin won the 100-yard breaststroke and junior Corinne Hofstetter won the 500-yard freestyle. The freshmen also swam well, with Kula winning the 100-yard butterfly and Elizabeth Jones winning the 100-yard freestyle.

After the meet was over, the divers got to participate in the annual “diver relay”, where each of the divers swims one-fifth of the 250-yard freestyle relay with all of the swimmers cheering them on. The relay has become a tradition for CSU and gives the divers a chance to show they are multi-talented.

CSU now has two and a half weeks to prepare for the MWC Championships in Oklahoma City. The event will start Feb. 19 and the Rams hope to place higher than their third place finish last year. Practice will be crucial until the meet and the team can hopefully put on all of the final touches.

“We are going to do a lot of speed work and work on our sprinting,” Schneider said. “Then we just have to rest a lot and be ready.”

2002-2003 Final MWC Standings

1. UNLV (7-0)

2. Colorado State (6-1)

3. Utah (5-2)

4. New Mexico (4-3)

5. BYU (3-4)

6. Wyoming (2-5)

7. San Diego State (1-6)

8. Air Force (0-7)