Authors: Patrick Crossland

When Lacy Miller was little, she performed shows at family gatherings. She rallied her cousins, choreographed songs and called in the audience.

“She’d choreograph all these shows for everyone, we’d all have to sit there and watch the whole production,” said Wendy Cohen, Miller’s mom. “She had sock people one time. She was funny, very entertaining, but just to a select few.”

Miller loved art, music, people, jokes, children and “That 70s Show.” She was loved by many, and gave her love freely.

“She liked to be with her friends and hang out with her family, she made wherever she was a better place, Cohen said. “She had friends from every walk of life, you could take her anywhere, she could talk to anybody. She had lots of different kinds of friends, she was very accepting.”

Miller’s room lay exactly how it was the day she left it. CD’s, bank receipts, pictures, cloths and letters remind those closest to her that their daughter and friend is nearby and not so far away.

“When people ask me how many kids I have, I’ll say two, one in heaven and one on Earth,” said Cohen.

As a young girl, Miller became a Christian, giving her life to Christ at age 5. She was passionate about Jesus and found ways to express her love through her artistic nature.

“She always loved Jesus. She used to make him birthday cakes and little cards that said, “I give my heart to you for a present Jesus,” Cohen said. “I’ve got little notes she wrote and put under the Christmas tree, she just loved him.”

Miller was a hard working student at University of Northern Colorado, and wanted to become an elementary school teacher. She was involved with student council, was on the yearbook staff and had a real interest in photography and art.

When asked what she remembered most about her daughter, Cohen said she loved her sense of humor.

“She had a real quick wit, she could imitate people really well,” she said. “I remember her giggle, she had the cutest little giggle. I remember her sweet spirit, she was never one of those terrible two’s.”

When asked what Miller would want said about her, Cohen said, “that she loved the people in her life, she loved God and that she loved little kids.”

Cohen remembered her daughter’s traits and idiosyncrasies, remembering what she called the “petrified bowl force.”

“She was into photography and art and sleeping and watching T.V. and leaving cereal bowls all over my house,” she said with a laugh, “the petrified bowl force.”

Cohen described her daughter in relation to how Miller made her life more complete.

“She was an angel on earth, a sweet spirit and she healed my life,” she said. “I’m just blown away by being the mom of such a great kid and that I got picked.”

When asked how she wants her daughter to be remembered, she said, “she wants her to be remembered as someone who made good choices in a world where bad choices are too easy to make, and nobody forced her to,” she said.

Cohen said she’s learned to cherish the people in her life and to never take for granted the time that she has with those she loves.

“I guess it’s made me realize that every single second you get with a person is just a gift and I feel the luckiest because I got to see Lacy everyday for twenty years,” she said.

Her best friends remember her as happy and fun-loving, caring about those around her.

“She’s a really caring person, always caring, she always made sure people close to her were ok,” said Amanda Huddleston, her close friend. “She was funny, she had one of those contagious smiles and laughs.”

Miller was also a person who her friends said they could turn to and confide in.

“She was an amazing friend and a really good listener,” said Angela Langer. “I could talk to her about anything, she was a genuinely good person.”

When asked if there was one thing she could say to Miller, she said, “If I could say anything to her, I’d tell her I am grateful to be such a big part of her life for so long and thank you.”

Andrea Rutherford, a friend of Miller’s since seventh grade remembers her honesty.

“I loved that she was really honest, friendly, caring, loving and straight forward,” she said.