Authors: Patrick Crossland

When Chris Davis began his bike ride on Jan. 12, he had no idea his ride would come to an abrupt end.

“I got hit from behind with the jeep door,” Davis said. “I could have laid there and bled to death.”

It’s been coined, “Biker Boxing,” a form of assault whereby pedestrians are knocked off of their bikes by car doors or hit in the head with baseball bats. And Davis isn’t the first to become a victim.

Davis said he was riding in the bike lane when he was knocked off of his bike by the passenger side door of a passing car.

“I was in the bike lane, so I know they purposely hit me,” Davis said. “I didn’t know why these guys hit me.”

Davis said after he was hit the perpetrators returned to see the damage that had occurred.

“I could hear them coming back up the street,” he said. “They drove by to see what damage they did.”

Davis is angry with the insolent behavior of the assailant and the post-proceedings of the assault.

“I don’t think these kids will get crap out of this. It’s amazing to me there is no responsibility,” he said. “This kid who hit me with a Jeep is probably sitting in his third period class laughing with his buddies about it.”

Davis said he is frustrated that the public wasn’t warned during the series of assaults.

“Why didn’t the police department or papers say anything about this when it happened,” he said. “Why wasn’t the general public warned?”

Davis said he suffered a concussion, a separated shoulder and damage to his hip.

“It wasn’t a random incident, there were seven other cases before mine,” he said.

Davis said he feels bad for the type people who commit acts such as these.

“If a group of ten people think this is fun, they need psychotic help,” he said. “I actually feel bad for these kids, that’s psychotic behavior.”

Just one day after Davis was assaulted, Will Gaebler was riding his bike on Magnolia St. between Mathews St. and Peterson St. when someone swung a bat at his head. The bat came inches from his head and hit his left handlebar.

“I was riding my bike around 7 p.m.,” Gaebler said. “At first I thought I was hit by a car. I saw him hanging out of the window with a bat. As soon as it happened I rode home and called the police.”

While an officer was talking with Gaebler at his house about how the assault happened, another officer radioed in saying they had pulled over a vehicle with a matching description and a bat inside.

Gaebler says he is one of several similar victims who have been assaulted between December and January and has been contacted by several people including Davis.

“There’s been ten incidents and I’m pretty sure they are all related to these two individuals,” he said.

Will Gaebler’s uncle, Francis Gaebler, was also assaulted while riding his bike.

“I was coming home at 6 p.m. from work and a car came up behind me and struck me hard enough to leave a welt,” he said. “I saw him lean out of the window and flash the bat and yell something at me.”

He said at the time he was hit he was riding in the bike lane far from the street.

“I try to pull over as far as possible,” he said. “I have three lights on my bike so it’s pretty hard to miss me.”

Francis Gaebler said he would prefer restorative justice, whereby the defendant meets with the victim to discuss the two sides of the story.

“It’s a great way of healing,” he said.

Jane Bradley, a victim witness coordinator at the district attorney’s office said Trevor Gonzales has been charged with second-degree assault, reckless endangerment and underage possession or consumption of alcohol in connection with the assaults.

She said because he is a minor, there is limited information available to the public, but said, “at that time there is a chance he will be pleading guilty.”

The next court hearing will be on Feb. 21 at 9:30 a.m. in Larimer County courtroom 4b.