Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

As the presidential search at CSU continues-and the time clock for the end of the fiscal year begins to tick louder-the Presidential Advisory Committee has yet to begin to look at applicants.

Many people, including the Collegian, have questioned the validity of this search. The Board of Governors of the CSU System, which is chosen by the Governor, Bill Owens, put together the Presidential Advisory Council.

The validity of the search would not be questioned if Owens didn’t have such a massive influence on the people responsible for electing our new president.

At the University of Colorado, the Board of Governors is elected by the voters of that county, taking the political influence out of any decision the board makes. The board members are only responsible to their contingency, rather than to the governor-the man who gives the CSU board members their jobs.

The presidential search committee chair, Don Hamstra, has released a tentative meeting schedule. The committee hopes to meet on Feb. 28, when they will begin to review the applicants. The end of the fiscal year is June 30, the day President Albert C. Yates moves on and a new president moves in.

That day may seem far away, but with all the applicants and the process required for finding a new president, the process should begin sooner.

The relative exclusion of students in the search is also a concern. Students, those most affected by the search and hiring of a new president, don’t have much voice in who will be the next president of their university. Only a few students are on the advisory committee that will help select the president. Those who attend this university should be allowed more information about the search process and who the final candidates for their leader are.

The Presidential Advisory Committee could hand out ballots or surveys asking students what qualities they prefer in CSU’s president. They could solicit opinions through the myriad “Student FYI” e-mails that are sent to each of us. Those are just two ways to more actively involve students in the search process.

Having an functional role in the decision process would make students feel more secure in the future of our institution and the validity of the diplomas we are working so hard to earn.