Authors: Joelle Milholm

<

The Ram swimming and diving team faced a harsh reality on Saturday: Jayhawks and Golden Gophers know how to swim. And they know how to swim well.

Out of 16 events in the double-dual meet against Kansas and Minnesota, CSU only managed to come out with three victories. Minnesota proved to be the best team, beating both teams by over 75 points.

CSU and KU’s battle was closer and ended with the final score of 174-125. According to the university, Kansas coach Clark Campbell was impressed with CSU.

“We lost to a very, very good Minnesota team and were fortunate to beat Colorado State,” Campbell said.

Junior Kristen Schneider was one of the standout Rams and won CSU’s only individual swimming event. The time of 57.29 was fast enough for Schneider to win the 100-yard backstroke. She was also a member of the winning 200-yard freestyle relay team along with senior Kristin Knudson, sophomore Seda Ozdemir and freshman Elizabeth Jones.

The team’s posted time of 1:37.76 was the fastest this season in a dual meet.

“It was good to have that good of a time in our relay,” Schneider said. “It is good to see our team putting up fast times at the end of the season.”

The other Ram victory came from junior diver Lori Vigil. Vigil dove for 279.6 points to capture first place on the three-meter board.

Minnesota had a strong presence on the boards by taking first, second and third on the one-meter and second and third on the three-meter.

CSU received a number of second place finishes including Schneider in the 200-yard backstroke, Knudson in the 50-yard freestlye, sophomore

Lyndsey McCaslin in the 100-yard breaststroke and junior Jamie Robinson in the 200-yard breaststroke. Schneider, Knudson, McCaslin and freshman Rachelle Kula’s combined effort was also good enough for second place in the 200-yard medley relay.

The Rams dropped to 6-4 on the season, while KU is now 7-4 and MU continues its undefeated streak at 6-0. Kansas has now taken seven of eight and Minnesota has taken two out of three against the Rams all-time.

“We faced two really good teams and we were not really expected to win. We still swam pretty well. Some people swam better than others and we probably were not as excited as we should have been,” Schneider said.

The team will practice this week to prepare for its last meet before the Mountain West Conference finals. The meet will feature this year’s swimming Border War with rival Wyoming.

A win would mean a second place finish in the conference. The meet takes place at 5 p.m. at Moby Pool.