Authors: Patrick Crossland

Just hours before Fort Collins police announced the possible discovery of Lacy Miller’s body, Miller’s family held a Friday night candle light vigil celebrating the missing University of Northern Colorado student’s life.

According to a press release, police discovered a body near the intersection of Stove Prairie and Highway 14. Police believe this may be the remains of Miller.

Twenty year-old Miller was last seen at 1:30 a.m. Jan. 18 after dropping a friend off at her apartment in Ram’s Village. Miller was reported missing when she didn’t return to her parents’ home by 6:30 a.m. the following morning and her car was found parked and locked near her parent’s home. Fort Collins resident Jason Clausen, 22, was arrested Wednesday in connection with her disappearance.

Police searched throughout the weekend to identify potential sites where Miller’s remains might be. Late Saturday afternoon, police located and secured a suspicious site in rural Larimer County that needed further investigation.

The body will be taken to the Larimer County Coroner’s office for identification.

The Cohen family held a candlelight vigil Friday evening to pray for and remember their daughter.

Almost a week after Miller went missing, the Cohens stood in their front yard praising God for what they had and for their daughter.

“I just want to say thank you,” said Wendy Cohen to hundreds of community members who had gathered to remember her daughter. “Because you pray, I can sleep at night.”

Cohen spoke briefly about her daughter as candles lit the faces of children, their parents, friends and relatives.

“I appreciate everything you are doing, I know Lacy would be thrilled,” Cohen said. “I know she’s OK,” explaining that her daughter is now in heaven. “It’s the rest of us that are having a hard time.”

Miller’s father, David Miller, relayed a message through a friend saying he can’t believe how much outpouring he’s received from the community. He told community members to give their children a strong hug and reminded them to remember to support Miller’s loved-ones a year from now, when they will need it the most.

Dwight Bradshaw, a team leader at The Meeting Place church, said community support has been abundant.

“All week, the entire town has said ‘what can we do to help?'” Bradshaw said. Community members have called in saying though they are unable to attend, they would stop where they are at 7 p.m. and pray for the family.

After a moment of silence and several songs of worship, Bradshaw prayed, saying “the candles represent the light of Lacy and the light of God’s love, both of which shine bright in our hearts. Lacy is right there with you, experiencing pleasure, joy and happiness, thank you for drawing her to you,” Bradshaw said.

Clausen, the man arrested in connection with Miller’s disappearance, will appear for arraignment today at 1:30 p.m.