Senioritis hits hard

Authors: Spencer Goodfriend

Walking slowly through the aisles of the CSU bookstore, senior history major Nate Rehm is hesitant about picking up his required textbook for his upper division course. He glares with disdain at the listed price for his $60 used book, and with an apathetic shrug he grabs it in a “whatever” sort of manner.

“I’m so ready to get out of here. I’m tired of being raped by the bookstore,” he said.

Frustrations that come with everyday life for the college student, not only pertaining to purchasing textbooks, may seem to weigh heavier for those close to graduation.

“It’s hard to finish up that last year of school because your mind tends to wander towards the future,” Rehm said. “Paying attention day to day is definitely becoming more difficult… By this stage, we have already learned how to obtain what is being taught. People just don’t want to put up with the tedious work that doesn’t really have any bearing on the future… Basically, I’m just going to live it up as much as I can the rest of my time here.”

He is not the only student experiencing senioritis, a not-so-uncommon condition where seniors look to cram as much of the crazy college experience as they can into their last days before graduation.

“An older buddy of mine went absolutely nuts his last semester here,” said junior restaurant and resort management major Adam Seidel. “He was normally a great student, a no-games type of guy. But his last semester he came hammered to school all the time, acting obnoxious in class, towards strangers too. He would come in reeking of alcohol, it eventually became embarrassing for me to sit next to him in class.”

However, students looking to go wild may actually hurt themselves in the long run by not properly preparing for life after college.

“Sometimes they slack on job searching when it needs to be started at least a semester or two before graduating,” said Career Center administrative assistant Marcia Schenkel. “A lot of them think that there aren’t any jobs available, when there are.”

The effects of senioritis may not only hurt a student’s job opportunity after graduation, but can delay graduation itself.

“I’ve heard a story or two where guys failed a couple of their last classes and they had to make them up in the summer or in the next semester,” Seidel said. “That’s not going to happen to me…I hope.”