Jan 212003
 
Authors: Helyna Bledsoe

Thanks to energy conservation programs implemented in the 1980s, CSU has saved more than $28 million over the past 15 years.

“CSU borrowed $12 million in the mid-80s to change energy systems,” said John Morris, CSU facilities manager.

New air handling systems were installed, lighting was changed and insulation was added to cut down on campus utility costs. Last year CSU began to turn down the heat in classrooms to help save more than $53,000.

“Our first priority is to eliminate energy waste,” said Brian Chase, director of facilities management, in a recent energy conservation press release. “We’ve been active in our conservation efforts for years, so there aren’t a lot of quick fixes left out there. Most of what we’ll be doing in the future will require an investment to gain meaningful savings.”

To help conserve water, the University Village apartments installed low-flow faucets, low-flow toilets and water-reducing showerheads.

“CSU uses 95 percent raw water for irrigation,” Morris said. “We’re working on getting the other 5 percent.”

CSU students should also be conscientious of water use, he said.

“Students can take shorter showers and wash on cold cycles,” he said. “Since we are lowering temperatures in classrooms, students should dress for the weather.”

The biggest problem Morris notices with energy conservation is students in the classroom.

“You see one student in a classroom when they could be somewhere else, using less energy,” Morris said. He suggests students study in places where the light is always on, such as the library or the Lory Student Center.

CSU is a leader in energy conservation and many businesses look to the campus for energy saving strategies, he said.

 Posted by at 5:00 pm

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.