Authors: Joelle Milholm

With two big wins against Utah and BYU on Thursday and Friday, the CSU swimming and diving team is now one step away from securing the No. 2 spot in the Mountain West Conference.

If the Rams beat Wyoming on Jan. 31, they will finish the season at 6-1 and take second place. UNLV is the regular season champion with a 7-0 conference record.

On Thursday night, the Rams extended their impressive undefeated record against Utah to 23-0. Junior Kristen Schneider contributed to the 172-126 victory by winning all four events she competed in, and freshman Rachelle Kula added more points with three first-place finishes.

The divers took first, second and third in both the one-meter and three-meter events. After the meet, head coach John Mattos was pleased with his team’s effort.

“We were a little unsure because it has been a long time since we have had a dual meet,” Mattos said. “I wasn’t sure if we would come out ready and hungry, but the win was a whole team effort and I am very happy.”

The team then beat three-time conference champion BYU on Friday night,

137-106. Schneider once again won all four of her events, and junior Corinne

Hofstetter added two more first place victories.

“Everyone is really happy,” Schneider said. “We expected them to give us a little bit more of a run, but everyone swam well.”

The divers were lead by junior Lori Vigil who took first on the one-meter board and second on the three-meter.

“We are happy with our performance. We got two pretty big wins and it was good to see all of our hard work payoff,” senior captain Erin Shumway said.

Over the break, the divers spent a week in Arizona training for the second half of the season, and were excited to get back and compete.

“We got to train consistently and we got a lot of work on the platform,” Shumway said. “Everyone is in really good diving shape.”

The swimmers were also busy during break and spent six days at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs. With two practices everyday and guidance from U.S. National swimmers, CSU got a lot of work in.

“The training went pretty well. It was cool just to swim and not have to worry about anything,” Schneider said.

The swimmers will compete again on Saturday when they travel to Lawrence,

Kan., to take on the University of Kansas Jayhawks. The divers will also be sending three team members to compete in Kansas.