Authors: Monique Lewis

Students tired of standing in long lines, bumping into other people or rushing to beat the next student to buy the last used book may consider reserving textbooks early at the CSU Bookstore.

Since 1998, the bookstore has allowed students to reserve their books early. This year it has been able to market even more to students because the Rambouillet has been reserved for book storage. In the past, there was not enough space to place the books, which meant that the bookstore had to be careful with how many orders they placed.

Every year, freshmen are encouraged to reserve their books at Preview.

“We target the previous students who are incoming freshman. We hope that they have a good experience to keep urging it through their tenure here,” said Robert Infante, customer service manager for the bookstore.

Not all students feel the need to reserve books early.

“I never really worried about books not being there or running out (my freshman year). I didn’t wait until two weeks after school started; I always got my books before class,” said Daphne Sitali, a junior technical journalism major.

Sitali said that since her freshman year, she has learned her lesson to wait until the end of the first or second week of class to buy books. She said sometimes teachers don’t end up using the books that were labeled “required.”

Infante said the advantage is that the student doesn’t have to deal with chaos when everyone is purchasing his or her books at the same time. Yet, even reserving books early doesn’t guarantee a student will get the cheaper used books most prefer.

There might not be enough used books because the manufacturer published a new edition or the department may place a late order. The bookstore makes as much effort as possible to get departments to order early for the students’ benefit.

“We have a brunch that involves all text coordinators from each department coming into the bookstore to encourage them to place their orders in advance as early as possible,” Infante said.

There were 3,442 reservations made for the fall semester, while last spring brought in 936. Infante believes that the absence of orientation in the spring is why numbers were low then. He expects next semester to bring in close to 2,000 since the bookstore’s marketing has increased.

However, the reservation system only allows students to pay by credit card, which singles out others who don’t have one or lack sufficient funds available to cover the high sums.

Barry Logan, a freshman and mechanical engineering major, felt it was unnecessary for this reason.

“You have to have a credit card and I didn’t have one,” Logan said.

Tali Beesley, a freshman psychology major, said although having to use a credit card makes it a little harder, she still plans to still reserve her books for next semester, because she likes to have them new and not worry about not having them when classes begin.

“It was a little bit of a pain because I had to use my mom’s,” Beesley said.

Infante said that the credit card would not be charged until Jan. 9 so that the student has enough time to secure the money. The deadline to reserve books is Jan. 4. Students can go into the bookstore to pick up the reservation form or order online at www.bookstore.colostate.edu.

Summary Sentence: Reserving your books early helps decrease the chaos of waiting to buy them in line and helps ensure your chances of getting your preferences for used/new books.