Authors: Rebecca Lapole

Early Graduation Sprouts Seeds of Learning

By: Rebecca LaPole

The graduation ceremony is a time of reflection on the past, and apparently waking up really early in the morning to sit with a whole bunch of people who want to be in bed. Encompassing three and a half years of college in one big three-hour long session with people who care watching from a distance seems almost trivial.

Memories of all the classes and parties are floating through my head. Keggers and strippers, statistics and philosophy. What will I actually take away from CSU and keep with me in my future?

College should be a time of self-discovery, which for me it definitely was. When I began my freshman year here at CSU back in 1999, I was already a semester ahead in credits due to some Red Rocks transfer credits and advanced placement classes I took at my high school, Arvada. I was an Animal Science major and I lived in Allison Hall. I played football, softball and even inner tube water polo. I took about 16 credits every semester and changed my major to technical journalism after a year and a half. I didn’t think I would graduate early due to the major switch, but after two years in the journalism program, I’m set to get my Bachelor’s degree.

Hard work got me through college and done early. I had two jobs for a large portion of my college career and even though I felt like I was constantly burning the candle at both ends, it was worth it to me to not be broke. It also seems like the busier I was, the more I got done. This past semester, due to my previous hard work, came as a breeze, with only 12 credits and a great internship with the Scene Magazine, I found myself going to concerts almost three times a week and forgetting about assignments.

Deciding what the most important thing to accomplish first has always been a challenge for me. Time management and prioritizing is still something I struggle with daily. My personal relationships have also grown and matured over time. I finally learned that age really doesn’t matter and everyone you meet can be unique and unpredictable.

Forethought about the future always helped dictate my path to graduation. When I noticed classes boring me and giving me no hope for the future, I quickly looked into other options that I had. Journalism is a way for me to express feelings I may otherwise keep locked inside without a media outlet. Learning will not end with the classes, and although this may be the only thing I really feel sure about upon graduating in two weeks, it is the part I look forward to the most. I definitely learned that nobody/nothing is more important than you. Find what you really want to do and don’t let anything get in your way or prevent you from achieving your goals.

GO CSU!!