Authors: Amy Bergstrom

Staying up until dawn is a feat deemed worthy of tickets to the Liberty Bowl, according to the AXA Liberty Bowl/Up ‘Til Dawn Challenge.

Up ‘Til Dawn, an all-Greek, all-campus philanthropy event which benefits St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, will be giving Liberty Bowl prize packages to teams raising $1,000, $5,000 and $10,000 by Dec. 15.

Teams at the $1,000 prize level will receive a tailgate luncheon, a tour of the hospital and tickets to the game, while teams at the $5,000 level receive the above plus hotel rooms, and teams at the $10,000 level receive all of that and airfare.

Because St. Jude’s is in Memphis, Tenn., where the Rams will play in the Liberty Bowl on Dec. 31, attending the game offers Up ‘Til Dawn participants the chance to see the hospital for which they are fundraising, said Johanne Jensen, executive director of Up ‘Til Dawn.

“The most exciting part for me is knowing we have the opportunity to allow teams to tour the hospital,” said Jensen, a junior majoring in merchandising. “The hospital isn’t something you can describe. You have to see it.”

So far, one team is currently eligible for the $1,000 prize. The team raised the money by having two Colorado Avalanche players come and sign autographs for two hours, raising over $1,300. Each of the Avalanche players contributed $200.

The team also has an autographed Avalanche jersey which they raffle off sometime in the future, Jensen said.

Touring the hospital will be the most important part of the prize, said Bonnie Zadigian, a sophomore open option business major and participant in Up ‘Til Dawn. “Seeing that they [the team] are taking a tour of the hospital, it will really put things in perspective for them. It will help motivate them to fundraise more, and they’ll get to see where their money is going.”

St. Jude’s is a hospital for terminally ill children, which provides health care at no cost to the families. The prize packages are being provided by ALSAC, the fundraising branch for the hospital.

The name for Up ‘Til Dawn comes from its final event, which takes place from 6 p.m. on April 5 to 6 a.m. on April 6. Teams will be able to participate in games and other events during the 12-hour time span.

“It’s congratulatory, a thank you to teams for their fundraising,” Jensen said. “The 12 hours represents the time a parent would stay up with a child with cancer.”

Jensen says that CSU students and faculty can still make teams. Teams of six are asked to make a fundraising goal of $750 or more and can sign up by contacting the office at 491-3358 or by e-mail at csuutd1@hotmail.com.