Commencement speaker lineup

Authors: Amy Bergstrom

After four, five, six, or more years of lecture classes and 10-page papers, 1,322 undergraduate students, along with 308 graduate students, will be graduating from CSU this semester. To commemorate the occasion, each college will hold commencement services on either Dec. 20 or 21.

Speakers at commencement range from outstanding graduates and faculty members to guests from the field. Here’s a rundown of the speakers at each college:

For the College of Natural Resources, Tom Hobbs, a research scientist in the Natural Resource Ecology Lab, will be addressing the graduates. Hobbs graduated from CSU with a masters and later a Ph.D. in wildlife biology. He was chosen by a committee of faculty members from each of the departments and will be speaking on a subject familiar to many, with a speech titled, “The Art of Getting Into Trouble.”

Angela Asmussen will be speaking at graduation for the College of Liberal Arts. Asmussen is a graduating student in political science, chosen because of her academics and contributions to the college. “She is an extraordinary student, a Phi Beta Kappa as a junior, and heavily involved in service on and off campus,” said Alan Lamborn, a professor of political science and an associate dean in the college.

At commencement for the College of Agricultural Sciences, Ben Houston, a rancher and 1995 Citizen of the West, will be speaking. Houston, who is the chairman of the board for the National Western Stock Show, will also be receiving an honorary degree, a rare occurrence said Jim Heird, interim vice provost and dean of Agricultural Sciences.

Jeff Christmann will be the speaker for the College of Applied Human Sciences. Christmann is an alum of CSU, with a B.S. in construction management, and is now operations manager for GE Johnson Construction Company. He is also the recipient of the 2002 Alumni Association Graduate of the Last Decade Award.

For the College of Engineering, Dr. Joseph Perl will be speaking. Perl is president, CEO and a board member of Mobilygen Corporation, working in the areas of wireless communications and digital signal processing and semiconductors. He received his M.S. and Ph.D. in electronic engineering from CSU.

Charles Lillis will be speaking for the College of Business. Lillis, a former dean of the University of Colorado Business School, is co-founder and managing partner of LoneTree Capital. “One of Dean (Ajay) Menon’s goals is to better connect the college with the business community,” said Pam Johannsen, a program assistant for the dean of business. “Lillis was chosen because he is a good fit from the business world.”

At the College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences ceremony, Dr. Marie Legare will address the graduates. Legare is a faculty member in environmental health, with expertise in toxicology and pathology. She was chosen by the environmental health club to give an inspiring send-off to the graduates, said Judy Heiderscheidt, undergraduate coordinator for environmental health.

Jan Janura will be the speaker for the College of Natural Sciences. Janura is an alumnus of the college, a psychology major, who co-founded Carol Anderson, Inc. He has been asked to provide the students with an idea of how his education at CSU has influenced his career.

The ROTC will be holding commissioning ceremonies also. Col. Deborah Baker will be speaking at the commissioning. Baker is the director of personnel for the headquarters Air Force Space Command, and is a graduate of CSU who was commissioned through the ROTC.

President Albert Yates will be conferring degrees at the commencement ceremonies of the College of Liberal Arts and the College of Agricultural Sciences.

Information regarding times:

ROTC Commissioning: Dec. 20, 3 p.m., LSC Theatre

College of Natural Resources: Dec. 21, 8:30 a.m., LSC Main Ballroom

College of Liberal Arts: Dec. 21, 8:30 a.m., Moby Arena

College of Agricultural Sciences: Dec. 21, noon, LSC Main Ballroom

College of Applied Human Sciences: Dec. 21, noon, Moby Arena

College of Engineering: Dec. 21, 3:30 p.m., LSC Main Ballroom

College of Business: Dec. 21, 3:30 p.m., Moby Arena

College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences: Dec. 21, 7 p.m., LSC Main Ballroom

College of Natural Sciences: Dec. 21, 7 p.m., Moby Arena