Authors: Cara Mason

Students stressed out and overwhelmed with last minute papers may be in luck. The writing center is here to help.

“The writing center helps you help yourself,” said Emily Wortman-Wunder, the assistant director and tutor for the writing center.

The tutoring staff consists mostly of department graduate students who are trained to offer help for all types of writing assignments. The staff can help with any writing assignments, ranging from a COCC 150 paper to writing personal statements for a graduate school application.

There are different ways to seek help from the writing center. Someone can get help with walk-in-advising sessions, scheduled appointments and e-mailing questions. The walk-in sessions usually last about 30 minutes, but longer sessions can be requested through appointments.

Ashley Gonnella is a sophomore majoring in merchandising. Currently, Gonnella is in the process of writing her argumentative essay for COCC150.

“This argumentative paper is 40% of my entire grade. I want to be successful on this paper,” Gonnella said.

Gonnella came to the writing center searching for someone to point out parts of her paper that don’t flow very well.

“It is hard to see all the mistakes in my paper by myself. I am hoping that the tutor can suggest ideas which will help me improve the parts of my paper that are lacking in areas such as the structure,” Gonnella said.

The tutors in the writing center enjoy helping students improve their writing abilities.

“I like helping students with their writing, I like talking about the writing process,” Wortman-Wunder said. “Our goal is to help students make a new connection with writing and see things in a new way.”

The writing center is located in room 6 of Eddy Hall, in the basement. Its regular hours are Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and on Wednesday and Thursday nights from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.

During finals week, the center is only open on Monday and Tuesday from 10 a.m to 4 p.m. The writing center can also be reached at 491-0222 or e-mailed at http://writing.colostate.edu.