Authors: Joelle Milholm

In a busy four-day invitational that ended Sunday night and was hosted by the University of Washington, all 10 Ram swimmers had good finishes. But it was CSU’s strong relay teams that had the most success.

In the 200-yard medley relay, the A team finished fifth and the B team finished 16th. Then the A team took fourth in the 400-yard freestyle relay while the B team took 20th.

In the final relay event, the 800-yard freestyle relay, the A team grabbed the No. 10 spot.

With over 525 other swimmers competing in individual events, the Rams had their plates full, but the strong junior class came through. Kristen Schneider had the fourth fastest time in the 200-yard backstroke, 11th fastest in the 100-yard backstroke, and she also took 42nd in the 100-yard butterfly.

Katie Peck also placed well with a 15th place finish in the 400-yard IM, an 18th place finish in the 100-yard freestyle and a 22nd place finish in the 200-yard freestyle. Kristin Knudson took 13th in the 100-yard freestyle and 30th in the 100-yard backstroke.

Lissa Fischer finished 42nd in the 100-yard breaststroke and 45th in the 400-yard IM. Corinne Hofstetter also contributed in representing CSU with a 23rd place finish in the 200-yard butterfly.

The younger swimmers were also impressive with sophomore Lyndsey McCaslin taking 10th and freshman Jamie Robinson taking 40th in the 100-yard breaststroke. Freshman Rachelle Kula took 34th in the 100-yard butterfly and 66th in the 200-yard freestyle.

The swim team will be practicing this week to prepare for its last meet of the semester this Saturday at the Colorado College Classic in Denver.

The divers also got a chance to show off their skills this weekend as they competed in the BYU Diving Invitational. Junior Lori Vigil led the Rams by capturing second place in both the one and three-meter events.

Senior Erin Shumway took fourth in the one and three-meter springboard events, as well as in the five-meter platform dive.

Sophomores Kara Crisp and Liz Kidner also dove well, placing sixth and 11th respectively in the three-meter event, and seventh and fifth respectively on the one-meter board. Kidner was pleased with the team’s results.

“Everyone did really well and it was good to see the invitational format,” Kidner said. “It was really good practice for us and should help us a lot when we are at the conference finals.”