Authors: Patrick Crossland

Despite United Airlines’ bankruptcy filing Monday, CSU students will continue to fly during the holidays.

According to Branch Manager Shane Armstrong, at STA travel located in the Lory Student Center, students will more than likely not have any problem flying United.

Armstrong also said that business will not likely be affected by United’s bankruptcy.

“U.S. Airways has been in the exact same position for the past few months and it hasn’t affected the industry in the least bit,” Armstrong said.

Armstrong said United customers may be hesitant to fly at first, but eventually will return to normal flying practices.

“In the end they will realize that basically, it’s business as usual,” Armstrong said.

According to Paul Layden, an instructor and internship coordinator in the

Department of Natural Resource Recreation and Tourism, business may feel the affects of United’s bankruptcy.

“I think to a certain extent, it could (have an effect on travel) whenever a large company announces this,” he said. “There is a possibility that consumers might not book as many flights.”

Layden said that Colorado could feel the effects in areas like the ski industry if United consumers fly less.

“I think it’s disappointing. Any time a company declares chapter 11, it’s disheartening,” Layden said.

Layden said that Denver International Airport and United have a close working relationship, which could cause Colorado to feel the effects of United’s bankruptcy filing.

“I think it might affect people being able to come to Colorado,” he said. “It could have a negative impact.”

For some students, the news couldn’t have come at a worse time.

“I have no idea what airline I’m flying,” said graphic design major Dave Statzel. “I just read it in the paper today, I was like, I hope it’s not them.”

Statzel, who will be flying to St. Louis for Christmas, bought his tickets on Priceline, but does not know which airline he will be flying.

“I went through Priceline,” he said. “If (United) folds I’m worried I might not get my money back.”

Laura Urban, a student studying liberal arts said that she’s flying to London in January.

“I’m not worried, I’m flying Lufthansa,” she said. “But my mom’s friend is a stewardess for United and she lost her job,” she said.

United operates about 1, 700 flights a day, or about 20 percent of all U.S. flights. It is the dominant carrier at DIA and has the most extensive worldwide route structure of any airline, but also the industry’s highest costs.