Authors: Dustyn Connelley

“To see a world in a grain of sand and a heaven in a wild flower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour.” (William Blake)

This quote says a lot about life, and it says a lot about the things that we miss along the way. There is this immense world out there and it never fails that there are times we are unable to see it. Times that are spent looking for something else while failing to realize that what we are given, is truly amazing.

There are so many moments when we just let life pass us by, and I wonder if we’ll ever slow down enough to enjoy the sweet part. I wonder if we’ll ever fully understand how lucky we are, how lucky we are to be alive and how lucky we are to have each other.

There may not always be an easy answer in how it is that we find this understanding, but ultimately I think our greatest chance lies in our ability to laugh and our ability to love.

It was once said that laughter is our best medicine and I think that was a wise statement. So much stress could be eliminated if we were only able to let go of our anger and laugh about things.

I know that, unfortunately, there are a lot of elements out there that a few giggles won’t cure, but while we are forced to deal with the stuff we did not ask for, why not laugh at what we can.

Why not embrace that we are most alive when we indulge ourselves in laughter. And why not embrace, that if anything, laughter is one of our only chances at a common language?

Our other chance lies in our ability to love; love is one of the exceptional forces in the universe, and can be seen as one of our greatest strengths.

We need to refuse to teach our children the types of hatred that is bred within this society. We need to teach our children and ourselves that everyone deserves to live and we need to never forget how important it is to carry love and compassion in our hearts.

When asked what advice she had for her great-grandchildren, a brilliant woman once wrote, “All of you have a great deal of talent and great minds. Use them to the best of your ability. Remember you are a part of this universe – no less than the trees and the stars, you have a right to love and be loved.”

I get chills every time I read that. The words my great-grandma wrote weren’t just for my brothers and I, they were for every single human being. They were for all of you.

Take advantage of this thing we call life and don’t let it pass you by.

*Since this is the last time I will be allowing you a glimpse into my psyche, I just wanted to take a few seconds to first, thank those of you who read my column every week and have taken the time to let me know your thoughts on it. And second, apologize if at any point I have insulted anyone. Ultimately, my attempt was to challenge all of us to step away from our normalcy, take a look at our lives and try and understand what it is that really matters.