Where my rights begin

Authors: Chad Tarkinson

In Friday’s Collegian, Jill Goodwin wrote an article titled “Where do your rights end and mine begin?” She stated, “everyone has the right to breathe smoke-free air and that every time a cigarette is lit in an enclosed place that right is taken away.”

Well, everyone has the right to smoke and to ban smoking in public places takes that right away. I’m not going to argue that second hand smoke is not bad for you, though I would like to see where the data came from that it increases health risk by 400 percent, but it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that working in a bar entails being around people who smoke.

If you don’t like it, don’t take the job, or apply at Suite 152. You don’t hear people who work high stress jobs saying, “This stress is really unhealthy for me therefore I need it removed from my work environment.”

It seems as though everyone is acting like these people don’t have a choice of where they work, and this is not the case. The question should be asked, “If you were not working and just going out for the night, would you go to one of these bars?” I think you get my point.

Furthermore, the reference that drunk driving is illegal because it puts other people’s live at risk is not even a valid comparison to the issue at hand.

Drunk driving is an acute incident of death or injury caused by a single, negligent individual. The cigarette that is smoked near you today is not going to kill you. More than 2,000 people die in America every year due to car accidents caused by someone on a cell phone, but how many time have you yapped away one your phone while driving down the street.

It is every person’s right to smoke; now I’m not going to sit there and blow it in your face, but if you don’t like it, find a new profession.

Chad Tarkinson

Landscape Horticulture

Senior