Authors: Amy Bergstrom

Despite the fact that CSU continues to rank higher than most institutions in research expenditures, Tony Frank, CSU’s vice president for research and information technology, maintains that the university’s primary focus is on teaching.

“People have a tendency to say that all the money means we’re focused only on research,” he said. “That’s not true. It shows that we’ve been very successful at recruiting a very high-quality faculty and therefore high-quality students.”

CSU ranks in the top five percent of colleges and universities receiving research funds for science and engineering, according to the National Science Foundation.

As a research institution, part of the learning at CSU is linked to the research, Frank said.

The NSF ranks CSU 70 out of 641 institutions in total research and development expenditures and 72 out of 1515 institutions in federal science and engineering support.

These rankings improve CSU’s reputation, Frank said.

“As our reputation grows nationally, it makes it easier to recruit the next generation of faculty members,” Frank said.

CSU also received a record amount of research funding for the fiscal year 2001-2002, $183 million. This is an increase of $17 million from the previous year. Over the past five years, CSU has received an increase of 36 percent in externally funded research support.

Almost all of the funding comes in the form of specific, scientific, peer-reviewed grants. The single largest source of funds is from the federal government, specifically the National Institutes of Health in the Department of Health and Human Services, Frank said. HHS contributed more than $32 million.

Other large contributors include the Department of Agriculture, the NSF and the Department of Defense.

More information on the NSF rankings can be found at www.nsf.gov/sbe/srs/profiles/data/ip001350.htm.