Authors: Joelle Milholm

After a week off and some time to relax, the CSU swimming and diving team heads back into action this weekend when 10 swimmers travel to Washington for the Husky Invitational, and four divers go to Utah compete in the BYU Diving Invitational.

The team’s record will remain at 5-2, with Friday and Saturday’s events being focused on individual training for the final conference meet rather than team scores.

Many other western schools besides CSU will be sending swimmers, including UCLA, Washington and Washington State. Junior Kristen Schneider is one of the 10 Rams competing in Washington and is hoping to do well in all four of her events, which are the 100-yard backstroke, 200-yard individual medley, the 200-yard butterfly and as a member of the relay team.

“I am really excited for the Invite,” Schneider said. “We are all rested and I think individually we can do really well.”

In Provo, Utah, the CSU divers will be challenging the best divers from all around the Mountain West Conference. There will be four members of the team making the trip, including senior Erin Shumway, junior Lori Vigil and sophomores Liz Kidner and Kara Crisp.

The divers left for Utah on Wednesday morning in order to have a few days to practice before the invitational starts Friday. The competition will feature a five-meter platform dive in addition to the usual one- and three-meter springboards.

This will be a true test of the team’s skill being that there is no platform board at Moby Pool and they rarely get a chance to see one.

“Hopefully being there a few days early will give us enough time to practice our platform dives,” Kidner said. “It will mostly just be a great opportunity to see all of our competition and give us a glimpse of what the conference finals will be like.”

The entire team will return to competition Nov. 14 when it travels to Denver for the Colorado College Classic. It will be the last meet until the season resumes in mid-January.