Authors: Melissa Pester

Colorado Gov. Bill Owens, formerly vice-chair of the Republican Governors Association, is now chair-elect after former chair John Rowland of Connecticut stepped down on Nov. 23.

Ohio Gov. Bob Taft was elected the new vice-chair for the RGA. Taft and Owens will serve a one-year term, until November 2003.

“We are coming off a great year, thanks to some great candidates and the support of President George W. Bush. Now we begin to build for more success in 2003, which will help build momentum for the critical presidential election year of 2004,” Owens said in a prepared statement.

Founded in 1963, the RGA is the official political and public policy organization of America’s Republican governors and governors-elect.

“The RGA remains one of America’s strongest and most effective political organizations, thanks to some of the nation’s finest leaders – the Republican governors,” states Rowland on the RGA Web site.

Former President Ronald Reagan is the only chair of the RGA to go on to being a president or vice-president of the United States.

However, according to the Denver Post, there is a rumor among the Republican Party that Owens is seeking a cabinet position or may possibly become Bush’s running mate should Dick Cheney choose not to run in the 2004 presidential election. There has even been speculation that Owens may run for president in 2008.

Owens was just re-elected in the 2002 mid-term elections as governor of Colorado, entering his second term. Colorado term limits will keep him from campaigning for governor in Colorado in the next election.