Authors: Luke Cornish

The CSU Women’s Basketball team will have to do better than Wiley Coyote if they hope to extend their home winning streak against the Metro State Roadrunners, Wednesday night.

The Rams hope to improve on their two-game winning streak at Moby Arena when they battle an Interstate 25 rival. CSU is still on a high after they won the Coors Rocky Mountain Invitational over the Thanksgiving break.

The Rams are 3-1 on the season, their only loss coming in the preseason Women’s National Invitational Tournament at home against the University of Southern California. CSU has lost only seven games in the last four years at Moby Arena.

CSU will once again look to their senior class to put away the Roadrunners. The Roadrunners are a NCAA Division II school and are the only team from that division the Rams will play all year.

The Rams have played Metro State twice before and won both games. Roadrunner head coach, Dave Murphy is in his first year at Metro State and will look to put an end to CSU’s home winning streak. Murphy’s alma mater is CSU’s neighbor, the University of Northern Colorado in Greeley.

Metro State finished 5th in the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference which led to the hiring of their new coach.

He will match wits against the Rams’ first year head coach, Chris Denker, who joins CSU from Santa Clara University. Denker’s overall record is 44-19.

The game against Metro State will be one of two non-conference, non-tournament home games before CSU hosts the womenscollegehoops.com Ram Holiday Classic on the 28th and 29th of December.

The game will give 6-1 senior forward Ashley Augspurger a chance to close in on 9th place on CSU’s all-time career point total list. Augspurger is just 70 points shy of Jane Lange who graduated in 1983.

Augspurger secured 10th place on the list after the two wins in the Rocky Mountain Invitational giving her a total of 1104 points. The record belongs to Becky Hammon, a 1999 graduate, who totaled 2740 points in her four years playing for CSU.

The game tips off at 7 p.m. Wednesday and will be a chance for CSU to regain their national ranking.