Authors: Joelle Milholm

The Ram swimmers and divers headed into the break on a high note by crushing San Diego State 194-104 last Friday.

CSU got out to an early lead and as each event came and went, furthered the gap between the two teams’ scores. The Rams took first in 13 of 16 events including the one and three-meter diving competitions and the 400-yard freestyle and medley relays.

Junior Kristen Schneider was pleased with the team’s performance.

“It was a great way to go into the break. We expected to beat them, but we still stepped up and no one let down,” Schneider said. “We destroyed them like we should have.”

The victory moved the team’s record up to 5-2 overall and 3-1 in the Mountain West Conference. The swimmers and divers were free to return to their homes for the Thanksgiving break and received a well-deserved break.

The swim team will practice this week to prepare for the Husky Invitational in Federal Way, Washington on Friday. The divers will also be practicing this week to get ready for the Brigham Young Diving Invitational in Provo, Utah on Saturday.

Helping CSU with first place finishes against SDSU were Schneider in the 200-yard freestyle and 100-yard butterfly, sophomore Lyndsey McCaslin in the 100-yard breaststroke and 200-yard individual medley, freshman Rachelle Kula in the 200-yard butterfly and 100-yard freestyle, junior Lissa Fischer in the 200-yard breaststroke, senior Dylon Groenwold in the 100-yard backstroke, and freshman Elizabeth Jones in the 50-yard freestyle.

Showing off their incredible teamwork, Schneider, McCaslin, Kula and junior Kristin Knudson won the 400-yard medley relay. The combination of Schneider, senior Katie Peck, Jones and sophomore Seda Ozdemir also proved to be a success by capturing first in the 400-yard freestyle relay in a time of 3:35.71.

The diving team also placed well as senior Erin Shumway took first in the one-meter diving event with a score of 234.82. Sophomores Meghan

Trucco, Liz Kidner and Hope Stafford took third, fourth and fifth, respectively. Kidner finished with the highest score in the three-meter event with a score of 227.17 while Trucco took third and Stafford took fourth.