Authors: Stephanie Lindberg

Demand for certain majors have made some colleges and departments create higher standards for admission into their programs.

Pre-major programs have been changing to become more selective. This year, the pre-technical journalism major was changed into a different option called open option seeking journalism, in an effort to cut down on the number of students in the school of journalism, said Steven Church, an academic adviser.

Laurie Craig, the key adviser for the department of journalism, said there has been an overwhelming demand for students to get into the journalism department.

“There has been a huge influx of students and unfortunately not a lot of new resources,” Craig said. “There are a number of students that wanted our major, which we were very happy about, but we don’t have the resources to offer them the classes.”

Currently, students admitted to CSU as a pre-technical journalism major are required to take both Introduction to Mass Media and Newswriting and acquire at least a C in one and a B in the other before they can be considered for acceptance as a journalism major. Students also must maintain at least a 2.5 GPA in all courses.

With the new control on the major, open option seeking journalism students will face some changes, Craig said. While the open option students will still need to meet the prerequisite classes, they will have to maintain a higher GPA of 2.9.

Students hoping to gain admittance as business majors must complete a minimum of 15 credits as an open option seeking business student, with a minimum GPA of 2.85, said Bridgette Bustos, an undergraduate advisor for the business school.

These students must also complete M141 Calculus and EC202 Microeconomics with at least a B- in both.

Like the journalism department, business had to cut down on student enrollment in order to help provide the best program.

“We had to make restrictions because we have more students than we can handle (wanting business),” Bustos said. “So we can provide the classes for the folks already here.”

Colleen Erbsen, a freshman seeking business, said she likes the competitive aspect that the open option business program promotes.

“I’m not sure if I’m going to go into business but I like the system,” Erbsen said. “It makes it more challenging and sets your standards high. That’s what you need to be successful in the business world.”