Authors: Joelle Milholm

When San Diego State comes to Moby Pool on Friday night, the CSU swimmers and divers will look to prove what the football team did last weekend: the Ram is mightier than the Aztec.

With a victory, the Rams could improve their conference record to 3-1. Currently, San Diego State is 1-4 in the Mountain West Conference with its only win coming against the Air Force Academy.

CU head coach John Mattos believes the team is ready and better than ever.

“Practices have gone really well this week. Everyone is healthy and in good spirits,” Mattos said. “Our performance against UNLV was great and just reconfirmed that we have one hell of a team.”

After facing an extremely challenging team like UNLV, CSU highly anticipates relaxing a little more and mixing things up against the Aztecs, who at presently hold the sixth spot in the conference. CSU is in third place behind UNLV and Utah.

According to Mattos, the meet is a great opportunity to move some swimmers to different events and see if they are successful. However, some of the 16 events contested will still feature swimmers and their normal strokes and distances.

“San Diego State is going to have a tough time against us,” Mattos said. “They have some good distance swimmers, which is something we have to work on, but they don’t match up in other events.”

The divers should also be able to perform well. San Diego’s most successful diver this season has been freshman Lindsey Minnich with a 155.85 in the one-meter and a 184.3 in the three-meter – both top team scores.

Those numbers do not come close to the season high marks of the two-time Mountain West Conference Diver of the Week, CSU junior Lori Vigil, who has posted a 285.05 in the one-meter and a 324.1 in the three-meter.

CSU last faced San Diego State in the Mountain West Conference

Championships last spring, when the Rams took third place while the Aztecs took seventh.

After the Rams Friday night, San Diego State will have its hands full by having to head up to Laramie for a meet with Wyoming on Saturday.

The Rams and Aztecs hit the water at 5 p.m. on Friday at Moby Pool.