Ram swimming sunk by Rebels

Authors: Joelle Milholm

In a meet that came down to the wire, the CSU swimming and diving team came up 0.29 seconds short in a 151-148 loss to UNLV on Saturday.

The Rams headed into the last event up by two points and ready to face UNLV in the 400-yard freestyle relay. Despite a great effort, UNLV managed to edge out CSU for first place with a time of 3:29.62 while CSU finished in 3:29.91 for second.

Head coach John Mattos was extremely pleased with the team’s hard work.

“When we have the kind of swimming and diving we had tonight, we’ll take a three-point loss,” Mattos said. “It was a tremendous effort and I am very proud of them.”

Out of the 16 events that were contested, CSU won five. Top swimmers include junior Katie Peck winning the 100-yard freestyle with a time of 53.21.

Junior Lyndsey McCaslin also had a first place finish in the 100-yard breaststroke with a time of 1:04.28. The 100-yard butterfly was won by freshman Rachelle Kula who finished it in 57.76.

UNLV’s Racula Udroiu may have been the deciding factor for the Rebels as she won all three of the events she participated in, including the 100- and 200-yard backstroke and the 200-yard individual medley.

The divers also finished with quite a bit of success. Senior captain

Erin Shumway won the three-meter event and placed second on the one-meter board.

The Rams record now stands at 2-1 all-time versus the Rebels, who, prior to Saturday, last saw the Rams during the 1994-95 season.

CSU’s record on the season is now 4-2 overall and 2-1 in the Mountain West Conference. Even with this weekend’s loss, Mattos is still enthusiastic about CSU’s chances in the conference race.

“After tonight’s meet, I honestly believe the team can challenge for the conference championships,” Mattos said.

The team will compete in one more meet before Thanksgiving Break, on Friday at 5 p.m. in the Moby Pool. The meet, against San Diego State, will be a good chance for the Rams to redeem themselves in the Mountain West Conference.