Authors: Collegian Staff

CSU men’s basketball coach Dale Layer announced Wednesday three players have signed national letters of intent with the Rams’ program.

All three players are all-star performers from the state of Texas. The three men’s basketball letter of intent signees include:

Stuart Creason, a 7-foot, 250-pound center from Coppell, Tex., who will enroll at CSU for the fall semester of 2003-04. Creason plays for one of the top prep programs in Texas at Coppell High in suburban Dallas. He was a double-figure scorer who also averaged 4.5 blocked shots per game last season.

“Stuart is a very talented student-athlete who will make an outstanding contribution to our program” Layer said. “He is an outstanding competitor who works very hard every day, whether he is on the court or in the classroom.”

Creason earned all-district honors last season as a junior at Coppell when he averaged 10 points and seven rebounds per game. Creason joins fellow Texas natives Stephen Verwers and Phillip Thomasson to comprise the Rams’ 2003-04 early signing period recruiting class.

Since Layer took over control of the program three seasons ago, eight student-athletes who played either high school or junior college basketball in the state of Texas are currently on the team (five) or will enroll next year (three).

Phillip Thomasson, regarded as one of the top prep players in the nation, is a 6-foot-7 -inch, 215-pound forward from Burleson, Tex., will enroll at CSU for the fall semester of 2003-04.

Thomasson enters his final season at Burleson High having averaged in 21 points and eight rebounds per game last season as a junior. He is a four-year starter and letter winner who earned second-team all-state honors in 2001 as a junior.

“Phillip is an exceptional player and we are thrilled that he is joining our program. Not only he is a tremendous player, but he is an even better individual,” Layer said. “He will fit in well with the student-athletes in our program and help us reach the goals we’ve set for success.”

Stephen Verwers, a six-foot, 10-inch, 225-pound front line player from Weatherford, Tex., will enroll at CSU for the fall semester of 2003-04. Verwers has played from the Weatherford Express, an independent home school team in Parker County. He averaged 15 points and nine rebounds plus three blocked shots last year.

“Stephen is one of the most talented players in the nation,” Layer said. “He will be a force inside for our program for many years to come.”